Mobile for a Meal
Thanks for all of those who supported our Mobile for a Meal campaign. The results will be released in March 2017.
Recycle your mobile and we'll donate a meal! For every mobile recycled in January and February MobileMuster will donate the value of a meal to OzHarvest, Australia's leading food rescue agency. Terms and Conditions apply.
How to get involved:
- Individuals: drop off your mobile at your nearest drop off point, pick up a free recycling satchel at Australia Post store, or download a mailing label.
- Organisations: if you are a collection point now is the time to book in a collection online or by calling MobileMuster on 1800 249 113 no later than 20 February 2017 to make sure your collections count.
We've created some handy resources to help you promote MobileMuster during the campaign. You can download our poster for printing and use our images below for social media, email and newsletter distribution. If you need any further information contact us.
MobileMuster is the only not-for-profit government accredited mobile recycling program in Australia and is funded solely by the mobile phone industry’s members Microsoft, Motorola, Samsung, HTC, Huawei, ZTE, Alcatel, Oppo, Telstra, Optus, Vodafone and Virgin Mobile. The aim of the program is to keep old mobiles and accessories out of landfill and ensure they are recycled safely, securely and ethically. Nothing is resold & all data is destroyed.
Mobile Phone Waste Facts & Figures
- There are over 40 million tonnes of electronic waste in the world which represents over $68 billion of potentially reusable resources. (1)
- Australians are among the highest users of technology and produce an estimated 25kg of electronic waste each every year. (2)
- In Australia there are 25.5 million old unused and unwanted mobile phones and 4 million of these mobiles phones are broken and no longer working. (3)
- Over 95% of the materials used in mobile phones and accessories can be recovered.
- For every tonne of mobile phone materials recovered, 10 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions are avoided.
OzHarvest is Australia’s leading food rescue organisation, rescuing quality surplus food from more than 2,000 businesses, including supermarkets, restaurants, cafes, hotels, retailers, airports and retail food outlets. Every week over 87 tonnes of food is saved from going to landfill and delivered to over 900 charitable agencies, helping to make a positive difference to the lives of vulnerable men, women and children across Australia. OzHarvest addresses food security through education programs NEST (nutrition education sustenance training) and Nourish, a hospitality training program for disadvantaged youth. It operates nationally in Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Newcastle, Perth and in regional communities via REAP by OzHarvest program. Every $1 donated allows OzHarvest to deliver two meals to people in need.
Food Waste Facts & Figures:
- $8-10 billion dollars of food is wasted each year in commercial and residential waste. (4)
- Four million tonnes of food ends up as landfill. (5)
- One in five shopping bags end up in the bin = $1,036 worth of groceries per household each year. (6)
- 35% of the average household bin is food waste. (7)
- Over 644,000 people now receive food relief each month, one third are children. (8)